International Museum Day 2014 (IMD14) will be upon us in just a few weeks. The museum community has chosen the theme “Museum collections make connections” for 2014 celebrations of International Museum Day. It’s a great way to promote the importance of museums in New Zealand, as well as providing an opportunities to give your visitors something special. If you’re looking for inspiration to get you started, here are few ideas to get you started.
- Use your website or Facebook to run a series of short features from staff (or invited guests) on items from the collection they connect with, and join these up as a Museums Day celebration (e.g. http://dowse.org.nz/about/collection/smisek_yunomi/)
- Use Facebook or Twitter (or your favourite social media platform) to ask people what their favourite / most memorable collection item is (especially good if your collection is digitised)
- Use post-it notes or postcards etc to ask the same question onsite, and display the responses
- Offer a behind-the-scenes collection tour on 18 May
- Have your director, board chair or someone special to the organisation write a short piece on your museum’s collections creating connections, to publish online
- Delight your visitors
- Offer a lollipop, ballon for kids, or other cheap treat to every visitor on 18 May to celebrate International Museums Day
- Offer discounted or free entry to a paid event/exhibition on 18 May
- Invite visitors to enter a draw with a special prize running just on 18 May. Remember to give them the option of signing up to your newsletter when you collect contact details.
- Delight your staff
- Shout people working on 18 May morning tea for Museums Day.
- Media opportunities
- Got a great story about how museum collections create connections? Talk to your local paper or radio station about covering this for International Museums Day.
Find out more, and download a press back at the IMD14 website http://network.icom.museum/international-museum-day/news/detail/article/discover-the-theme-and-poster-for-international-museum-day-2014/
We need your help!
We are collecting information about how you are celebrating IMD14. Your activities will go into an international database at the Secretariat in Paris and be shared with other institutions around the world. We will include links to your activities and images, if you have them. Please fill out the form below.